- The US's biggest anime distributor FUNimation announced they will be moving into co-producing- and will be on the production committee of Dimension W. The series is based on a manga by the author of King Of Thorn. They also announced plans to release the classic original Full Metal Alchemist in a complete Blu-Ray box-set, and added Venus Project: Climax and Chaos Dragon to their summer streaming line-up.
- Right Stuf are also resurrecting a couple of classic anime on Blu-ray with Revolutionary Girl Utena and the original mech drama Gundam both getting a HD makeover. Sunrise- the makers of Gundam- also teased that they are working on a brand new instalment of the giant robot franchise- more details to follow soon.
- The US arm of Production I.G. (the studio behind many classics such as Ghost In The Shell) is to produce a series for Fox's Animation Domination High-Def block.
- Lucky panel attendees were given a sneaky peak at the next, unannounced project by Studio Trigger, the people who brought you Kill La Kill.
- Anime streaming site Crunchyroll announced plans to stream Ushio and Tora, Monster Musume, To Love Ru Trouble Darkness 2nd, Symphogear GX, Gatchaman Crowds season 2, Teekyu 5, Million Doll and Non Non Biyori Repeat this summer.
Monday, July 6, 2015
Anime Expo Round-up Part 2: 'Utena', 'Dimension W' and more
Posted by Chris Perkins
Chris writes about movies, games, TV and other stuff you love, and has written for places including MyM magazine, Rant Gaming, KillStreakMedia and Anime UK News. He particularly specialises in the field of animation and spends far too much time watching cartoons for a grown up. He regrets nothing. Follow him at @misterchristor.